Many ab workouts require gym equipment or gear, but there are also effective ab exercises you can do anytime, anywhere, that are just as effective. If you’re still a beginner and are looking for a set of ab workouts you can do right at home without any equipment, we’ve just the thing for you.
Here, you’ll learn 5 great exercises that can strengthen and enhance your lower and upper abs. Perform these moves as a circuit, with 3 sets of 10 reps, with 20-second rest intervals after each exercise.
5 Beginner Ab Workouts for a Stronger Core
1. Standing Rotating Knee to Elbow
This ab workout allows you to work your obliques, trimming those love handles.
From a standing position, place your palms on the back of your head. Slightly bending forward, touch your right elbow to your left knee. Then, touch your left elbow to your right knee. Do 10 reps and take a 20-second rest. Do three sets.
- You can hop in place if you don’t want to do active rest.
- Once the 20-second rest ends, immediately repeat the same exercise.
- Also, make sure you feel the twisting sensation in your abs when you do the exercise.
2. Hands through Knee Crunches
Here’s an exercise that works your upper abs.
Lay down on the floor, feet planted and knees bent. Put one hand on top of the other reach your arms through your legs.
Do 10 crunches, rest for 20 seconds, and then repeat for two more sets.
- Try to get up as far as you can, so you can squeeze down with your abs to have some fat burning in your abdomen.
- If you want to feel a little contraction in your abs, just try to breathe out with every single rep.
3. Floor Wipers
This is another rotating exercise for your abs, but Floor Wipers focuses on pulling with your opening muscles.
Lay down and position your arms straight sideways for stability. Straighten your legs up or bend them down 90 degrees.
Move your legs from side to side, letting your abs do the work in moving your legs and keeping your upper body steady. Do 10 reps for each side, take a rest for 20 seconds, and repeat for two more sets.
- Make sure to maintain a 1-inch space between your legs and the floor. If you let them touch the floor, you’ll lose tension.
4. Mountain Climbers
This exercise enhances your lower abs and is great for all fitness levels.
Get down on all fours. Quickly drive your knees forward for 10 reps each knee, take a 20-second rest and repeat for two more sets.
- Don’t do a “lazy mountain climber” — doing whatever with your legs and not focusing on squeezing with your abs and driving your knees up.
5. Hollow Body Holds
The last exercise works on your stability.
Lie on your back and raise your legs and arms up to your shoulders (like you’re forming a U shape). Hold this position for 10 seconds, rest for another 10 seconds, and repeat for two more sets.
- When holding this position, contract your abs to keep your body stable.
For more about these ab workouts, watch this video below:
These ab workouts are sure to improve your lower and upper abs. All these exercises require is a little bit of room and lot of willpower. Just remember to take a 20-second rest after every exercise, so you can keep a good pace. With these simple steps and helpful tips for each movement, you’ll definitely strong and toned abs.
Do you have other ab workouts you can add to the list above? Share them in the comments section below!